Wednesday, August 11, 2010

West Africa's 1st Electric car by CU graduate!

May 2003, a Nigerian inventor named Brino Gilbert won the INPEX award for his invention, the CCG (Counter Collision Gadget), a device that averts accidents on road, sea, air and rail. It won the award for best invention from Africa that year.

Renowned Nigerian-bred scientist Philip Emeagwali who dropped out of high school 4 times invented the world’s fastest computer.

Now as always I’m proud to present to you another great innovation from Nigeria and from a fresh graduate of Covenant University.
…always @ moi frequency *wink* Enjoy!

Joseph Maichibi: Innovator of the EV
I’ve been eager to let d world know about you sir, so let’s get to meet you
Maichibi Joseph is the name…Just graduated from Elect July 2nd, 2010


Permit me to call you Mr Joe for the rest of the interview…
That's OK


what was growing up like for you?
…well I schooled around most regions of the nation but basically grew up at Lagos.


any particular reason why you decided to come to Covenant University?
I was mostly fascinated with nature but picked a flare for science in my 6th class in primary school. I wanted to master the art of electronics and kick start my childhood dreams in science. CU turns out being it.


Hmm…so d science genes had been infused long time ago...
I would think so too.


Mr. Joe I'd like you to tell us about this great innovation of yours cuz I still find it hard to believe
I stepped into CU in my 1st year with 2 clear goals, build a PC in my 3rd year and make a car in my 5th year. It turns out being I did both at the speculated time.
It didn't occur to me at the time that I would be making an electric car.
Eventually in my 2nd semester year 3, I came to a conclusion on an electric car as I envision it to be the future of automobiles and transportation in the world.
It all boiled down to the fact that electric cars are clean and quiet. They are perfect for mother earth survival and the human race at large.
Green Reflexions: Front View
That's how GREEN REFLEXION came to be.







So this would mean u began your research a long time ago…I must say this is really inspiring owing to the fact that very few innovations come from this side of the world
Well, I think we have what it takes to do more but there are too many political issues tied to human greed that deters innovations and inventions in this side of the world otherwise a brain is a brain whether black, white, red or whatever race.







What were the various challenges you encountered in the course of the project
Let’s just streamline them to finance and handling people involved in the project stages.
But I came to figure out that the greatest challenge I came across was me. Giving up was so easy to do thank God for grace I would have yielded if not for such.


...thank God you pulled thru d self-limiting barriers
Yeah thank Him.


But Joe...for clarification reasons is it truly the 1st in West Africa?
From my research all through the project, it turns out that only South Africa has an Electric Car programme going on in the continent so you could say "In Africa minus SA".


Wow!...I feel honoured interviewing you
But to also mention a Man called Jelani Aliyu a Nigerian was among the team designing the GM VOLT (an electric car) in America. So I could say he is the first African to design an electric vehicle in General Motors USA.

Work time!

Ok...that’s interesting; at least we’ve got you on the home front
I guess you already have patents for the ‘Green Reflexions’ beautyor working on that I guess...
*Laughs* Haha...no not yet. I still have to finish my paper work on it.


Alright never mind my curiosity
copy that.




Before I round up, I'd like to know…what was the total costing of the electric car project?
It cost me about N800K.
It’s worth the cost you know.


Yes most definitely, that’s a great investment into something greater I see coming from you
Thank you.


On a lighter note, how do you feel and what’s your message to upcoming Nigerian youths out there?
There will be no government capable of financing all your ideas neither will everyone embrace it. If you believe it will work, kick start it with the little you have when God sees your zeal he will do His thing His way for you.
It's not the UN, it's YOU.


That’s very deep and insightful...I’m most honoured to have you share such great message with us
You're welcome Mike.


I hope to spread this message to the world every way I know
Suit yourself, pls.


It was nice having you once again, any words in closing?
I would say we join hands and make our nation ours. Let’s invest into whatever path we've chosen. If you become outstanding in your endeavour and I become outstanding in mine, definitely, Nigeria will be an outstanding place cuz as it were, Nigeria is not the land but we the people.
Nigeria, Good people and a Great Nation.


Well said! Thanks for your time and God bless!
Aurevoir my friend!

  





For further questions, send your mails to mikeylinks@yahoo.co.uk or feel free to comment below.


You might also like: The thought-provoking note that has spurred most comments on my blog Good People Great Nation...?

13 comments:

  1. This is really a great role model. I like his answer in message to the youths. All the best to him...he should get that patent quickly o..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes o, Myne the patent is really important.Joe should be speeding up things I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great work, let's hope he gets support because inventions cannot go far without good research and financial support.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pls, I really need to meet mr Joe in person, we really have something in common and we need to discuss, pls help me , I need his contact...... Thanks...I am also a Covenant University student, 200l mech engr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please Michael keep pushing Joe to patent it ooo
    that is the most important thing
    please, we have some wicked people around
    i knew Joe personally in school, that guy is a genuis

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow joe..this is good!!..u jst inspired me to go on with my dream..i'm giving it my best shot...i actually started forgeting about it..no wonder you were so busy in school and didnt really have time for my project..thanks all the same...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...Mike..good one on the interview.
    Oga Joe: WELL DONE! so all those while, this was going down..I LIKE YOUR TENACITY..SAW IT YOU...GREAT WORK! GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work Mike. We're proud of you. Keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feedback - Afrosays: Thanks homie! Thats true and I guess he's put that into consideration.

    Feedback - Anonymous: I'll be glad to help out. Send your name and phone no. to my mail (mikeylinks@yahoo.co.uk) and I'd give you the necessary details.

    Feedback - Odunowo Olanrewaju: I guess Joe's put that into consideration and you're right on that cuz intellectual innovation like that should be protected.

    Feedback - Adesewa: I'm glad this inspired you. Just keep on with the dream and Never! let anyone discourage you.

    Feedback - Whizkid: Thanks a lot man and I know Joe will get your message.

    Feedback - Brief: I'm so delighted by the encouragement and I will try my best to deliver better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...i guess its feels good knowing joe wz a 1-tym class mate of 5yrs..wht is better is knowing hw chose a path early enough and even though it must hav bn hard..he lived it thru..mikey..good job shown d light..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feedback - Tosoye: Thanks for stopping by & the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joseph's technology impressed me so much. Its great. But I may wish to add more glamour to the project with an automatic charging system that will make the car runs 24 x 7 x 365 days x the rest of users life. Contact me on 08034046395, 08153016689 or compenap@yahoo.com.
    E. O. Nigbo, Lagos Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hostile to burglary gadgets and vehicle security frameworks are grouped into three noteworthy class types. car dealerships near me

    ReplyDelete